Church History

On June 8, 1811, the Presbyterian Church of Franklin was organized with 46 members by the Reverend Gideon Blackburn. Its first location fronted on present-day Fourth Avenue. About 1815, a Meeting House was erected at that location, now on the northern part of the Old Cemetery.


The second location of the church, on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets, was purchased in 1841. It was a brick structure with a slave gallery. In November 1864, immediately after the Battle of Franklin, the sanctuary was dismantled and occupied by the Federal Army for use as a hospital. The third House of Worship was erected in 1887 and destroyed by fire in 1905. The fourth sanctuary was erected in 1907 and dedicated in 1908.


In 1986, the Presbytery of Middle Tennessee did a study to project population growth and determine new church development needs. Williamson County (Franklin) emerged as the focal point. As a result, the congregation voted to purchase twelve acres of property on Franklin Road at Mack Hatcher and to build adequate facilities at the earliest feasible date.


In August 1994, approximately 500 members moved to its third and present location at Franklin Road and Legends Club Lane. On September 18, 1994, this building was dedicated to the glory of God, continuing a history of Reformed worship, Christian education, and local and world mission. The new facility has enabled the congregation to enlarge its program and ministry, and over 470 new members have been added to our church family since moving to our new location. It is truly an exciting and historic time for this great congregation.