First Presbyterian Church was organized on June 8, 1811 with 46 members and 4 newly ordained elders. Its first location fronted the present-day Fourth Avenue in Franklin.
The second location of the congregation was on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets and was purchased in 1841. This brick structure was replaced in 1887 by a third house of worship that was destroyed by fire in 1905. Following this event, the fourth sanctuary was constructed in 1907 and was dedicated on May 24, 1908.
In 1986, following a Presbytery of Middle Tennessee study on population growth and church development needs, the congregation voted to purchase a twelve acre tract of land on Franklin Road at Mack Hatcher Memorial Parkway. Seventy-five members of the congregation remained at the facility at Fifth and Main and formed the new Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church.
In August of 1994, approximately five hundred members of First Presbyterian Church moved to its present fifth house of worship and third location. On September 18, 1994, the current building was dedicated, continuing a history of Reformed worship, Christian education, and local/world mission.
Delaware-Milnar Pipe Organ
The church’s pipe organ was constructed for the Fifth and Main location by the Delaware Organ Company of Tonawanda, New York in 1976. It was a two manual and pedal instrument and contained fourteen ranks of pipes and was installed in a central chamber above the choir loft.
The instrument was moved to the present Franklin Road at Mack Hatcher Memorial Parkway location in 1994. At which time the console was updated and four ranks of pipes were added, including the 16’ Principal and the 16’ Trumpet. The organ is located in the chancel immediately behind the choir loft.
Delaware-Milnar Pipe Organ
First Presbyterian Church – Franklin, Tennessee
Two manuals – Sixteen Ranks
GREAT SWELL PEDAL
8’ Principal 8’ Rhorflute 16’ Principal
8’ Bourdon 8’ Viola 16’ Subbass
4’ Octave 8’ Celeste 16’ Lieblich (soft wind)
4’ Gedeckt (ext.) 4’ Waldflote 8’ Principal (ext.)
2’ Blockflute 2 2/3’ Nasat (ext.) 8’ Bourdon (ext.)
III Mixture 2’ Weit Principal 4’ Choral Bass (ext.)
8’ Trumpet 2’ Rhorflute (ext.) 4’ Gedeckt (ext.)
8’ Oboe 16’ Trumpet (ext.)
First Presbyterian Church’s four octave set of handbells ranges from G3 to G7and was built by Malmark Handbells of Plumstead, Pennsylvania. A three octave set of handchimes complements the handbells and ranges from C4 to G7.
The building houses three acoustic pianos – a Kawai grand piano in the nave and a Kawai studio instrument in Room 215. A spinet is also located in the building for use within the Sunday School area. Additionally, a Kawai electronic keyboard/piano is also available for use.