First Presbyterian Church was organized on June 8, 1811, with 46 members and 4 newly ordained elders. Its first location fronted the present-day Fourth Avenue in Franklin.
The second location of the congregation was on the corner of Fifth and Main Streets and was purchased in 1841. This brick structure was replaced in 1887 by a third house of worship that was destroyed by fire in 1905. Following this event, the fourth sanctuary was constructed in 1907 and was dedicated on May 24, 1908.
In 1986, following a Presbytery of Middle Tennessee study on population growth and church development needs, the congregation voted to purchase a twelve-acre tract of land on Franklin Road at Mack Hatcher Memorial Parkway. Seventy-five members of the congregation remained at the facility at
Fifth and Main and formed the new Historic Franklin Presbyterian Church.
In August of 1994, approximately five hundred members of First Presbyterian Church moved to its present fifth house of worship and third location. On September 18, 1994, the current building was dedicated, continuing a history of Reformed worship, Christian education, and local/world mission.
The Schulmerich Digital Carillon both chimes and announces the hour daily from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. In addition, a hymn program takes place each day of the week at both 12:00 and 6:00 p.m. The instrument as scheduled as needed for other events and services.
First Presbyterian Church’s Five-octave set of handbells built by Malmark Handbells of Plumstead, Pennsylvania. A three-octave set of handchimes complements the handbells and was also created by Malmark.
The building houses two acoustic pianos:a Kawai grand piano in the nave and a Kawai studio instrument in Room 215.
Pipe Organ - Casavant Freres Limitee Opus 3938
First Presbyterian Church is pleased to announce the installation of its new pipe organ built by Casavant. These two-manual instrument contains twenty-five ranks, forty-four stops, and features four divisions (including a divided Recit). The organ utilizes vintage 1910 Casavant pipework from their Opus 440, retaining the flavor and style from this early era in Casavant history. Notable among these are the Bell Clarinette, Cornopean, Flute Double, Flute Harmonique, Tromba (high pressure), Viola and Viola Celeste, and Vox Humana (the latter stop imported from France).